Adolescent Survivors of Suicide (SOS)
2019 Jefferson County Meetings
When: 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month @ 6:30-8:00pm
Where: St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church
1004 Rock Road
Desoto, MO 63020
Finding hope and strength... together
Specialized services for adolescents who have attempted or lost a loved one to suicide
Provident recognizes the unique emotional needs of those who have experience with suicide. We offer professionally-staffed services that provide caring support that encourages sharing, learning, growing, and healing.
The loss of a loved one to suicide is an experience unlike any other, leaving survivors with grief that is complex, intense, and difficult for others to understand. Provident has been offering SOS groups for over 20 years to connect people who can help one another and provide access the knowledge of our professional staff.
• SOS is free for all attendees.
• Members must be 14-18 years of age and must have safe and reliable transportation. Provident is not responsible for the transport of members.
• Participants are not required to speak during meetings.
• Participants are not required to attend a certain number of meetings. No formal “commitment” is necessary.
• We encourage members to try attending 3 meetings before deciding if it is a good fit for them.
• We advise arriving at least 5 minutes before the start time of the meeting.
• New participants should arrive 15 minutes early with an adult to complete parent/guardian consent documents and to receive a basic screening.
• Although anyone is welcome at any time, we strongly encourage individuals interested in attending be at least 2-3 months out from their loss before attending a meeting. Everyone is different, but the grief is often too fresh to process in a group setting prior to this amount of time.
• SOS is a peer-led support group. It does not involve formal therapy and does not follow a model such as a 12-Step program.
• Parents/guardians do not attend these groups, but will need to complete consent documents. There will be an adjacent room for parents/guardians to wait if needed.
There is no charge to attend these meetings and walk-ins are welcome.
For more information, contact Lisa Krystosek: 314-657-7224 or LKrystosek@providentstl.org for more information.