Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Text Size

Throughout the United States as well as in Missouri, it is a violation of Federal, State and local law to produce for wholesale or retail sale, any low acid or acidified canned food without first having attended and passed a course of instruction at a school approved by the Food & Drug Administration Commissioner. These training courses are called Better Process Control Schools. The courses cover the principles of Thermal Process Control, Acidification and Container Closure Evaluation. Classroom study is not the only thing you must do to legally produce and sell this type of food.

The following steps outline the process:

  1. Attend and successfully complete a Better Process Control School.
  2. Register with the Food & Drug Administration as a canning establishment using Form FD-2541.
  3. Consult with a "Process Authority" to determine if the canning process you propose is adequate and approvable. [It is necessary to submit a control process for each product you wish to produce and for each size of the same product] Process filings should be sent to the FDA using form FD-2541a.
  4. Process filings for aseptic processing of low acid foods should be submitted on form FD-2541c.

A "Process Authority" is an individual that the Food & Drug Administration recognizes as capable of reviewing your process and advising you on the suitability and safety of what you intend to do. A "Process Authority" can be a professor associated with a University or a privately employed food scientist from some other organization. These people charge a fee for their expertise. There are presently no Process Authorities in the state of Missouri.

To find instruction for filing the required forms,the forms, or to file forms electronically go to the FDA Acidified and Low Acid Foods web page.

Those individuals desiring to do so may obtain forms and filing information through the mail by contacting FDA at the following address:

LACF Registration Coordinator (HFS-618)
Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition (FDA)
5100 Paint Branch Parkway
College Park, MD 20740-3835

Do you need to consult with a Process Authority? Please keep in mind that this list is not endorsed by Jefferson County Health Department and is not all inclusive.

Login Form